Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 1:41 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:26 PM Masahiko Sawada
> > <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > > It's just an example, I'm not saying your idea is bad. ISTM the idea
> > > is good on an assumption that all indexes take the same time or take a
> > > long time so I'd also like to consider if this is true even in
> > > production and which approaches is better if we don't have such
> > > assumption.
> >
> > I think his idea is good. You're not wrong when you say that there are
> > cases where it could work out badly, but I think on the whole it's a
> > clear improvement. Generally, the indexes should be of relatively
> > similar size because index size is driven by table size; it's true
> > that different AMs could result in different-size indexes, but it
> > seems like a stretch to suppose that the indexes that don't support
> > parallelism are also going to be the little tiny ones that go fast
> > anyway, unless we have some evidence that this is really true. I also
> > wonder whether we really need the option to disable parallel vacuum in
> > the first place.
> >

> I think it could be required for the cases where the AM doesn't have a
> way (or it is difficult to come up with a way) to communicate the
> stats allocated by the first ambulkdelete call to the subsequent ones
> until amvacuumcleanup.  Currently, we have such a case for the Gist
> index, see email thread [1].

oops, I had referred to a couple of other discussions in my reply but
forgot to mention the links, doing it now.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1LGr%2BMN0xHZpJ2dfS8QNQ1a_aROKowZB%2BMPNep8FVtwAA%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1J-VoR9gzS5E75pcD-OH0mEyCdp8RihcwKrcuw7J-Q0%2Bw%40mail.gmail.com
[3] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20191106022550.zq7nai2ct2ashegq%40alap3.anarazel.de

--