От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:28 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 7:44 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What sort of extension we have done to 'libpqwalreciever'? Is it
> > > something like by default this supports replication connections so we
> > > have done an extension to the API so that we can provide an option
> > > whether to create a replication connection or a normal connection?
> > >

> > Yeah and in the future there could be more as well. The other function
> > added walrcv_get_dbname_from_conninfo doesn't appear to be a problem
> > either for now.

> I'm concerned about this. In fact, a primary_conninfo value generated
> by pg_basebackup does not work with enable_syncslot.

Right, but if we want can't we extend pg_basebackup to do that? It is
just that I am not sure that it is a good idea to extend pg_basebackup
in the first version.

> > > Yeah for this purpose users may use template1 or so which they
> > > generally don't plan to drop.
> > >

> > Using template1 has other problems like users won't be able to create
> > a new database. See [2] (point number 2.2)
> >

> > >  So in case the user wants to drop that
> > > database user needs to turn off the slot syncing option and then it
> > > can be done?
> > >

> > Right.
>
> If the user wants to continue using slot syncing, they need to switch
> the database to connect. Which requires modifying primary_conninfo and
> reloading the configuration file. Which further leads to restarting
> the physical replication. If they use synchronous replication, it
> means the application temporarily stops during that.

Yes, that would be an inconvenience but the point is we don't expect
this to change often.

> > > While looking into the patch v64-0002 I could not exactly point out
> > > what sort of extensions are there in libpqwalreceiver.c, I just saw
> > > one extra API for fetching the dbname from connection info?
> > >

> > Right, the worry was that we may need it in the future.
>
> Yes. IIUC the slotsync worker uses libpqwalreceiver to establish a
> non-replication connection and to execute SQL query. But neither of
> them are relevant with replication.

But we are already using libpqwalreceiver to execute SQL queries via
tablesync worker.

 I'm a bit concerned that when we
> need to extend the slotsync feature in the future we will end up
> extending libpqwalreceiver, even if the new feature is not also
> relevant with replication.

> Right. How about filtering slots on the standby side? That is, for
> example, the LIST_SLOT command returns all slots and the slotsync
> worker filters out non-failover slots.

Yeah, we can do that but it could be unnecessary network overhead when
there are very few failover slots. And it may not be just one time, we
need to fetch slot information periodically.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.