Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-11-14 at 12:11 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>    If an application wants to allow these connection parameters to be
>> used, it would need to do PQenableStartServer() first. If it doesn't,
>> those connection parameters will be rejected.
>
> Stupid idea: Would it work that we require an environment variable to be
> set before we allow the standalone_backend connection parameter?  That's
> easy to do, easy to audit, and doesn't require any extra code in the
> individual clients.

This is certainly not a stupid idea, rather something on similar lines
has been discussed previously in this thread.
Tom has suggested something similar, but I am not sure if there was a
conclusion on that point. Please see the
relavant discussion at below link:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/17384.1346645480@sss.pgh.pa.us

I think the basic question at that time was why should we consider an
environment variable more safe.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.