Re: Refactor to make use of a common function for GetSubscriptionRelations and GetSubscriptionNotReadyRelations.

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Refactor to make use of a common function for GetSubscriptionRelations and GetSubscriptionNotReadyRelations.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 4:34 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 7:55 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Right.  Using all_rels to mean that we'd filter relations that are not
> > > ready is a bit confusing, though.  Perhaps this could use a bitmask as
> > > argument.
> >
> > The attached v2 patch has the modified version which includes the
> > changes to make the argument as bitmask.
> >

> By using a bitmask I think there is an implication that the flags can
> be combined...
>
> Perhaps it is not a problem today, but later you may want more flags. e.g.
> #define SUBSCRIPTION_REL_STATE_READY 0x02 /* READY relations */
>
> then the bitmask idea falls apart because IIUC you have no intentions
> to permit things like:
> (SUBSCRIPTION_REL_STATE_NOT_READY | SUBSCRIPTION_REL_STATE_READY)

I think this will be an invalid combination if caller ever used it.
However, one might need to use a combination like
(SUBSCRIPTION_REL_STATE_READY | SUBSCRIPTION_REL_STATE_DONE). For such
cases, I feel the bitmask idea will be better.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.