Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pg_get_publication_tables() output duplicate relid
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 1:00 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 3:55 PM houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
> <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> > > Okay, I did write a PoC patch this morning after sending out my earlier email.  I
> > > polished it a bit, which is attached.
> >
> > After thinking more on this. I find there might be some usage about adding both
> > child and parent to the publication.
> >
> > For the future feature publication row filter(and maybe column filter), It
> > could be useful for user to adding child and parent with different filter
> > expression. If pubviaroot=true, user can expect the parent's filter take
> > effect, If pubviaroot=false, they can expect the child's filter take effect.
> >
> > If we disallow adding both child and parent to publication, it could be harder
> > for these features to implement.
>
> It's possible that one may want such a feature, and yes, outright
> preventing adding both the parent and a partition to a publication
> would perhaps make it harder.  Mind you though that any such feature
> would need to fix the current implementation anyway to make the
> publication-behavior-related catalog entries for child tables, which
> we currently don't, unless children are added explicitly.
>
> That said, we should also be careful in implementing new features that
> offer a finer per-partition granularity, because the fact that we do
> currently offer that for many of the existing old features such as
> constraints, indexes, etc. limits the scalability of our architecture.
> That point may be off-topic for the thread, but something to consider,
> or maybe I need to take a look at the other patch to see if my
> concerns are addressable / have been addressed.

Your concern is not very clear to me. Can you be more specific in what
kind of problem you see with such a design for row filtering? You
might want to once look at that thread. You can find a summary of that
patch in the email [1].

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/49ba49f1-8bdb-40b7-ae9e-f17d88b3afcd%40www.fastmail.com

--
With Regards,