Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Дата
Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions  (Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 6:29 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> In last patch v49-0001, there is one issue,  Basically, I have called
> BufFileFlush in all the cases.  But, ideally, we can not call this if
> the underlying files are deleted/truncated because those files/blocks
> might not exist now.  So I think if the truncate position is within
> the same buffer we just need to adjust the buffer,  otherwise we just
> need to set the currFile and currOffset to the absolute number and set
> the pos and nbytes 0.  Attached patch fixes this issue.

Few comments on the latest patch v50-0001-Extend-the-BufFile-interface
1.
+
+ /*
+ * If the truncate point is within existing buffer then we can just
+ * adjust pos-within-buffer, without flushing buffer.  Otherwise,
+ * we don't need to do anything because we have already deleted/truncated
+ * the underlying files.
+ */
+ if (curFile == file->curFile &&
+ curOffset >= file->curOffset &&
+ curOffset <= file->curOffset + file->nbytes)
+ {
+ file->pos = (int) (curOffset - file->curOffset);
+ return;
+ }

I think in this case you have set the position correctly but what
about file->nbytes? In BufFileSeek, it was okay not to update 'nbytes'
because the contents of the buffer are still valid but I don't think
the same is true here.

2.
+ int curFile = file->curFile;
+ off_t curOffset = file->curOffset;

I find the previous naming (newFile, newOffset) was better as it
distinguishes them from BufFile variables.

3.
+void
+SharedFileSetUnregister(SharedFileSet *input_fileset)
+{
..
+ /* Delete all files in the set */
+ SharedFileSetDeleteAll(input_fileset);
..
}

I am not sure if this is completely correct because we call this
function (SharedFileSetUnregister) from BufFileDeleteShared which
would have already removed all the required files. This raises the
question in my mind whether it is correct to call
SharedFileSetUnregister from BufFileDeleteShared from the API
perspective as one might not want to remove the entire fileset at that
point of time. It will work for your use case (where while removing
buffile you also want to remove the entire fileset) but not sure if it
is generic enough. For your case, I wonder if we can directly call
SharedFileSetDeleteAll and we can have a call like
SharedFileSetUnregister which will be called from it.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.