Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay, but isn't it better that we remove the snapshot taken
> > at checkpoint time in the main branch or till where this code is
> > getting back-patched.   Do you see any need of same after
> > having the logging of snapshot in bgwriter?
>
> But this one is necessary as well to allow hot standby faster to
> initialize, no? Particularly in the case where a bgwriter snapshot
> would have been taken just before the checkpoint, there may be up to
> 15s until the next one.

It could be helpful if checkpoint is done at shorter intervals, otherwise
we anyway log it at 15s interval and if need faster initialisation
of hot-standby, then it is better to reduce the log snapshot interval
in bgwriter.  I think if go by my reasoning then it should have been
removed when bgwriter is changed to log snapshot, so I think you
can take this suggestion if you also feel the same, anyway this
is not a correctness issue.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.