Re: WAL usage calculation patch

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: WAL usage calculation patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 2:48 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 4:36 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 7:58 PM Euler Taveira
> > <euler.taveira@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > > Since FPW is an acronym, plural form reads better when you are using uppercase (such as FPWs or FPW's); thus, I
prefersingular form because parameter names are lowercase. Function description will clarify that this is "number of
WALfull page writes".

> > I like Euler's suggestion to change wal_num_fpw to wal_fpw.  It is
> > better if others who didn't like this name can also share their
> > opinion now because changing multiple times the same thing is not a
> > good idea.
>
> +1
>
> About Justin and your comments on the other thread:
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 4:31 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There's a couple places that say "full page image records" which I think is
> > > language you were trying to avoid.  It's the number of pages, not the number of
> > > records, no ?  I see explain and autovacuum say what I think is wanted, but
> > > these say the wrong thing?  Find attached slightly larger patch.
> > >
> > > $ git grep 'image record'
> > > contrib/pg_stat_statements/pg_stat_statements.c:        int64           wal_num_fpw;    /* # of WAL full page
imagerecords generated */
> > > doc/src/sgml/ref/explain.sgml:      number of records, number of full page image records and amount of WAL
> > >

> > Few comments:
> > 1.
> > - int64 wal_num_fpw; /* # of WAL full page image records generated */
> > + int64 wal_num_fpw; /* # of WAL full page images generated */
> >
> > Let's change comment as " /* # of WAL full page writes generated */"
> > to be consistent with other places like instrument.h.  Also, make a
> > similar change at other places if required.
>
> Agreed.  That's pg_stat_statements.c and instrument.h.  I'll send a
> patch once we reach consensus with the rest of the comments.

Would you like to send a consolidated patch that includes Euler's
suggestion and Justin's patch (by making changes for points we
discussed.)?  I think we can keep the point related to number of
spaces before each field open?

> > 2.
> >        <entry>
> > -        Total amount of WAL bytes generated by the statement
> > +        Total number of WAL bytes generated by the statement
> >        </entry>
> >
> > I feel the previous text was better as this field can give us the size
> > of WAL with which we can answer "how much WAL data is generated by a
> > particular statement?".  Julien, do you have any thoughts on this?
>
> I also prefer "amount" as it feels more natural.

As we see no other opinion on this matter, we can use "amount" here.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.