Re: [HACKERS] Pluggable storage

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Pluggable storage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Alexander Korotkov
<a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Similarly,
>> if the page format is changed you need to consider all page scan API's
>> like heapgettup_pagemode/heapgetpage.
>

> If page format is changed, then heapgettup_pagemode/heapgetpage should use
> appropriate API functions for manipulating page items.  I'm very afraid of
> overriding whole heapgettup_pagemode/heapgetpage and monstrous functions
> like heap_update without understanding of clear use-case.  It's definitely
> not needed for changing heap page format.

Yeah, we might not change them completely, there will always be some
common parts, but as of now, this API considers that we can return a
pointer to tuple on the page with just having a pin on the buffer.
This is based on the assumption that nobody can update the current
tuple, only a new tuple will be created on the update.  For some use
cases like in-place updates, we might want to do that differently.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.