Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 12:15 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 11:43:54AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 11:23 AM Bertrand Drouvot
> > <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think that setting last_inactive_at when we restart makes sense if the slot
> > > has been active previously. I think the idea is because it's holding xmin/catalog_xmin
> > > and that we don't want to prevent rows removal longer that the timeout.
> > >
> > > So what about relying on xmin/catalog_xmin instead that way?
> > >

> > That doesn't sound like a great idea because xmin/catalog_xmin values
> > won't tell us before restart whether it was active or not. It could
> > have been inactive for long time before restart but the xmin values
> > could still be valid.
>
> Right, the idea here was more like "don't hold xmin/catalog_xmin" for longer
> than timeout.
>
> My concern was that we set catalog_xmin at logical slot creation time. So if we
> set last_inactive_at to zero at creation time and the slot is not used for a long
> period of time > timeout, then I think it's not helping there.

But, we do call ReplicationSlotRelease() after slot creation. For
example, see CreateReplicationSlot(). So wouldn't that take care of
the case you are worried about?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.