Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns
Дата
Ответ на Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 5:36 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 8:57 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 3:23 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have another comment on this patch:
> > SnapBuildPurgeOlderTxn()
> > {
> > + if (surviving_xids > 0)
> > + memmove(builder->catchange.xip, &(builder->catchange.xip[off]),
> > + surviving_xids * sizeof(TransactionId))
> >
> > For this code to hit, we must have a situation where one or more of
> > the xacts in this array must be still running. And, if that is true,
> > we would not have started from the restart point where the
> > corresponding snapshot (that contains the still running xacts) has
> > been serialized because we advance the restart point to not before the
> > oldest running xacts restart_decoding_lsn. This may not be easy to
> > understand so let me take an example to explain. Say we have two
> > transactions t1 and t2, and both have made catalog changes. We want a
> > situation where one of those gets purged and the other remains in
> > builder->catchange.xip array. I have tried variants of the below
> > sequence to see if I can get into the required situation but am not
> > able to make it.
> >
> > Session-1
> > Checkpoint -1;
> > T1
> > DDL
> >
> > Session-2
> > T2
> > DDL
> >
> > Session-3
> > Checkpoint-2;
> > pg_logical_slot_get_changes()
> >  -- Here when we serialize the snapshot corresponding to
> > CHECKPOINT-2's running_xact record, we will serialize both t1 and t2
> > as catalog-changing xacts.
> >
> > Session-1
> > T1
> > Commit;
> >
> > Checkpoint;
> > pg_logical_slot_get_changes()
> >  -- Here we will restore from Checkpoint-1's serialized snapshot and
> > won't be able to move restart_point to Checkpoint-2 because T2 is
> > still open.
> >
> > Now, as per my understanding, it is only possible to move
> > restart_point to Checkpoint-2 if T2 gets committed/rolled-back in
> > which case we will never have that in surviving_xids array after the
> > purge.
> >
> > It is possible I am missing something here. Do let me know your thoughts.
>
> Yeah, your description makes sense to me. I've also considered how to
> hit this path but I guess it is never hit. Thinking of it in another
> way, first of all, at least 2 catalog modifying transactions have to
> be running while writing a xl_running_xacts. The serialized snapshot
> that is written when we decode the first xl_running_xact has two
> transactions. Then, one of them is committed before the second
> xl_running_xacts. The second serialized snapshot has only one
> transaction. Then, the transaction is also committed after that. Now,
> [...]

I think then we should change this code in the master branch patch
with an additional comment on the lines of: "Either all the xacts got
purged or none. It is only possible to partially remove the xids from
this array if one or more of the xids are still running but not all.
That can happen if we start decoding from a point (LSN where the
snapshot state became consistent) where all the xacts in this were
running and then at least one of those got committed and a few are
still running. We will never start from such a point because we won't
move the slot's restart_lsn past the point where the oldest running
transaction's restart_decoding_lsn is."

I suggest keeping the back branch as it is w.r.t this change as if
this logic proves to be faulty it won't affect the stable branches. We
can always back-patch this small change if required.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.