Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 9:17 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 6:10 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Given that it doesn't introduce a new kind of problem I don't think we
> > > need special treatment for that at least in this feature.
> > >

> > Isn't the problem related to infinite wait by insert as explained in
> > my previous email (in the above-quoted text) a new kind of problem
> > that won't exist in the current implementation?
> >

> Sorry I had completely missed the point that the commit order won't be
> changed. I agree that this new implementation would introduce a new
> kind of issue as you mentioned above, and the opposite is not true.
>
> Regarding the case you explained in the previous email I also think it
> will happen with the parallel apply feature. The apply worker will be
> blocked until the conflict is resolved. I'm not sure how to avoid
> that. It would be not easy to compare constraints between publisher
> and subscribers when replicating partitioning tables.

I agree that partitioned tables need some more thought but in some
simple cases where replication happens via individual partition tables
(default), we can detect as we do for normal tables. OTOH, when
replication happens via root (publish_via_partition_root) it could be
tricky as the partitions could be different on both sides. I think the
cases where we can't safely identify the constraint difference won't
be considered for apply via a new bg worker.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.