Re: Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation
Дата
Re: Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:49 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unpatched
>> -------------------
>>                 testname                             | wal_generated |
>>     duration
>> ----------------------------------------------------------+----------------------+------------------
>>  one short and one long field, no change |    1054923224 |  33.101135969162
>>
>> After pgrb_delta_encoding_v4
>>
>>                 testname                             | wal_generated |
>>     duration
>> ----------------------------------------------------------+----------------------+------------------
>>  one short and one long field, no change |     877859144 | 30.6749138832092
>>

>> Temporary Changes
>> (Revert Max Chunksize = 4 and logic of finding longer match)
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>                  testname                            | wal_generated |
>>     duration
>> ----------------------------------------------------------+----------------------+------------------
>>  one short and one long field, no change |     677337304 | 25.4048750400543
>
> Sure, but watch me not care.
>
> If we're interested in taking advantage of the internal
> compressibility of tuples, we can do a lot better than this patch.  We
> can compress the old tuple and the new tuple.  We can compress
> full-page images.  We can compress inserted tuples.  But that's not
> the point of this patch.
>
> The point of *this* patch is to exploit the fact that the old and new
> tuples are likely to be very similar, NOT to squeeze out every ounce
> of compression from other sources.
  Okay, got your point.  Another minor thing is that in latest patch which I have sent yesterday,  I have modified it
suchthat while formation of chunks if there is a data  at end of string which doesn't have special pattern and is less
thanmax  chunk size, we also consider that as a chunk. The reason of doing this  was that let us say if we have 104
bytesstring which contains no special  bit pattern, then it will just have one 64 byte chunk and will leave the
remainingbytes, which might miss the chance of doing compression for  that data.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: INSERT...ON DUPLICATE KEY LOCK FOR UPDATE
От: Asif Naeem
Сообщение: Re: [bug fix] PostgreSQL fails to start on Windows if it crashes after tablespace creation