Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns
Дата
Ответ на Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 7:18 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 8:33 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >  I have changed accordingly in the attached
> > and apart from that slightly modified the comments and commit message.
> > Do let me know what you think of the attached?
>
> It would be better to remember the initial running xacts after
> SnapBuildRestore() returns true? Because otherwise, we could end up
> allocating InitialRunningXacts multiple times while leaking the old
> ones if there are no serialized snapshots that we are interested in.

Right, this makes sense. But note that you can no longer have a check
(builder->state == SNAPBUILD_START) which I believe is not required.
We need to do this after restore, in whichever state snapshot was as
any state other than SNAPBUILD_CONSISTENT can have commits without all
their changes.

Accordingly, I think the comment: "Remember the transactions and
subtransactions that were running when xl_running_xacts record that we
decoded first was written." needs to be slightly modified to something
like: "Remember the transactions and subtransactions that were running
when xl_running_xacts record that we decoded was written.". Change
this if it is used at any other place in the patch.

> ---
> +               if (builder->state == SNAPBUILD_START)
> +               {
> +                       int                     nxacts =
> running->subxcnt + running->xcnt;
> +                       Size            sz = sizeof(TransactionId) * nxacts;
> +
> +                       NInitialRunningXacts = nxacts;
> +                       InitialRunningXacts =
> MemoryContextAlloc(builder->context, sz);
> +                       memcpy(InitialRunningXacts, running->xids, sz);
> +                       qsort(InitialRunningXacts, nxacts,
> sizeof(TransactionId), xidComparator);
> +               }
>
> We should allocate the memory for InitialRunningXacts only when
> (running->subxcnt + running->xcnt) > 0.

There is no harm in doing that but ideally, that case would have been
covered by an earlier check "if (running->oldestRunningXid ==
running->nextXid)" which suggests "No transactions were running, so we
can jump to consistent."

Kindly make the required changes and submit the back branch patches again.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.