Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 6:34 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Why is this okay for Gather nodes, though? nodeGather.c looks at
>>> pcxt->nworkers_launched during initialization, and appears to at least
>>> trust it to indicate that more than zero actually-launched workers
>>> will also show up when "nworkers_launched > 0". This trust seems critical
>>> when parallel_leader_participation is off, because "node->nreaders ==
>>> 0" overrides the parallel_leader_participation GUC's setting (note
>>> that node->nreaders comes directly from pcxt->nworkers_launched). If
>>> zero workers show up, and parallel_leader_participation is off, but
>>> pcxt->nworkers_launched/node->nreaders is non-zero, won't the Gather
>>> never make forward progress?
>>
>> Ideally, that situation should be detected and we should throw an
>> error, but that doesn't happen today.  However, it will be handled
>> with Robert's patch on the other thread for CF entry [1].
>
> I knew that, but I was confused by your sketch of the
> WaitForParallelWorkerToAttach() API [1]. Specifically, your suggestion
> that the problem was unique to nbtsort.c, or was at least something
> that nbtsort.c had to take a special interest in. It now appears more
> like a general problem with a general solution, and likely one that
> won't need *any* changes to code in places like nodeGather.c (or
> nbtsort.c, in the case of my patch).
>
> I guess that you meant that parallel CREATE INDEX is the first thing
> to care about the *precise* number of nworkers_launched -- that is
> kind of a new thing. That doesn't seem like it makes any practical
> difference to us, though. I don't see why nbtsort.c should take a
> special interest in this problem, for example by calling
> WaitForParallelWorkerToAttach() itself. I may have missed something,
> but right now ISTM that it would be risky to make the API anything
> other than what both nodeGather.c and nbtsort.c already expect (that
> they'll either have nworkers_launched workers show up, or be able to
> propagate an error).

The difference is that nodeGather.c doesn't have any logic like the
one you have in _bt_leader_heapscan where the patch waits for each
worker to increment nparticipantsdone.  For Gather node, we do such a
thing (wait for all workers to finish) by calling
WaitForParallelWorkersToFinish which will have the capability after
Robert's patch to detect if any worker is exited abnormally (fork
failure or failed before attaching to the error queue).

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.