Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 1:50 PM Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> wrote:

> On 12.09.22 07:23, vignesh C wrote:

> >> Pushed. I am not completely sure whether we want the remaining
> >> documentation patch in this thread in its current form or by modifying
> >> it. Johnathan has shown some interest in it. I feel you can start a
> >> separate thread for it to see if there is any interest in the same and
> >> close the CF entry for this work.
> >
> > Thanks for pushing the patch. I have closed this entry in commitfest.
> > I will wait for some more time and see the response regarding the
> > documentation patch and then start a new thread if required.
>
> This patch added the following error message:
>
> errdetail_plural("Subscribed publication %s is subscribing to other
> publications.",
> "Subscribed publications %s are subscribing to other publications.",
> list_length(publist), pubnames->data),
>
> But in PostgreSQL, a publication cannot subscribe to a publication, so
> this is not giving accurate information.  Apparently, what it is trying
> to say is that
>
> The subscription that you are creating subscribes to publications that
> contain tables that are written to by other subscriptions.
>
> Can we get to a more accurate wording like this?

+1 for changing the message as per your suggestion.

> There is also a translatability issue there, in the way the publication
> list is pasted into the message.
>
> Is the list of affected publications really that interesting?  I wonder
> whether the list of affected tables might be more relevant?

In that case, we need to specify both schema name and table name in
that case. I guess the list could be very long and not sure what to do
for schema publications ( Create Publication ... For Schema).

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.