Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 1:46 PM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 12:30, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Now, thinking about this again, I am not sure if these stats are
> > directly related to slots. These are stats for logical decoding which
> > can be performed either via WALSender or decoding plugin (via APIs).
> > So, why not have them displayed in a new view like pg_stat_logical (or
> > pg_stat_logical_decoding/pg_stat_logical_replication)?   In future, we
> > will need to add similar stats for streaming of in-progress
> > transactions as well (see patch 0007-Track-statistics-for-streaming at
> > [1]), so having a separate view for these doesn't sound illogical.
> >

> I think we need to decide how long we want to remain these statistics
> values. That is, if we were to have such pg_stat_logical view, these
> values would remain until logical decoding finished since I think the
> view would display only running logical decoding. OTOH, if we were to
> correspond these stats to slots, these values would remain beyond
> multiple logical decoding SQL API calls.

I thought of having these till the process that performs these
operations exist.  So for WALSender, the stats will be valid till it
is not restarted due to some reason or when performed via backend, the
stats will be valid till the corresponding backend exits.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.