Re: pgbench - allow to create partitioned tables

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pgbench - allow to create partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 8:45 PM Rafia Sabih <rafia.pghackers@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 16:48, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

>> Yeah, I know that, but this doesn't look quite right.  I mean to say
>> whatever we want to say via this message is correct, but I am not
>> completely happy with the display part.  How about something like:
>> "pgbench_accounts is missing, you need to do initialization (\"pgbench
>> -i\") in database \"%s\"\n"?  Feel free to propose something else on
>> similar lines?  If possible, I want to convey this information in a single
>> sentence.
>>
>> How about, "pgbench_accounts is missing, initialize (\"pgbench -i\") in
> database \"%s\"\n"?

I think that we should not presume too much about the solution: perhaps
the user did not specify the right database or host and it has nothing to
do with initialization.

Maybe something like:

"pgbench_accounts is missing, perhaps you need to initialize (\"pgbench
-i\") in database \"%s\"\n"

The two sentences approach has the logic of "error" and a separate "hint"
which is often used.

+1 for error and hint separation.

Okay, if you people like the approach of two sentences for the separation of "hint" and "error", then I think the second line should end with a period.  See below note in docs[1]:
"Grammar and Punctuation

The rules are different for primary error messages and for detail/hint messages:

Primary error messages: Do not capitalize the first letter. Do not end a message with a period. Do not even think about ending a message with an exclamation point.

Detail and hint messages: Use complete sentences, and end each with a period. Capitalize the first word of sentences. Put two spaces after the period if another sentence follows (for English text; might be inappropriate in other languages)."

Also, the similar style is used in other places in code, see contrib/oid2name/oid2name.c, contrib/pg_standby/pg_standby.c for similar usage.

I shall modify this before commit unless you disagree.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/error-style-guide.html

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: RE: Proposal: Make use of C99 designated initialisers fornulls/values arrays
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: Make use of C99 designated initialisers fornulls/values arrays