Re: Non-superuser subscription owners

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Non-superuser subscription owners
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 12:51 AM Mark Dilger
<mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 1, 2021, at 5:36 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> There are a couple other things to consider before allowing non-
> >> superusers to create subscriptions anyway. For instance, a non-
> >> superuser shouldn't be able to use a connection string that reads the
> >> certificate file from the server unless they also have
> >> pg_read_server_files privs.
> >>

> > Isn't allowing to create subscriptions via non-superusers and allowing
> > to change the owner two different things? I am under the impression
> > that the latter one is more towards allowing the workers to apply
> > changes with a non-superuser role.
>
> The short-term goal is to have logical replication workers respect the privileges of the role which owns the
subscription.

> The long-term work probably includes creating a predefined role with permission to create subscriptions, and the
abilityto transfer those subscriptions to roles who might be neither superuser nor members of any particular predefined
role;the idea being that logical replication subscriptions can be established without any superuser involvement, and
maythereafter run without any special privilege.

> The more recent patches on this thread are not as ambitious as the earlier patch-sets.  We are no longer trying to
supporttransferring subscriptions to non-superusers.

> Right now, on HEAD, if a subscription owner has superuser revoked, the subscription can continue to operate as
superuserin so far as its replication actions are concerned.  That seems like a pretty big security hole.

> This patch mostly plugs that hole by adding permissions checks, so that a subscription owned by a role who has
privilegesrevoked cannot (for the most part) continue to act under the old privileges.

If we want to maintain the property that subscriptions can only be
owned by superuser for your first version then isn't a simple check
like ((!superuser()) for each of the operations is sufficient?

> There are two problematic edge cases that can occur after transfer of ownership.  Remember, the new owner is required
tobe superuser for the transfer of ownership to occur.

> 1) A subscription is transferred to a new owner, and the new owner then has privilege revoked.
>
> 2) A subscription is transferred to a new owner, and then the old owner has privileges increased.

In (2), I am not clear what do you mean by "the old owner has
privileges increased"? If the owners can only be superusers then what
does it mean to increase the privileges.

> In both cases, a currently running logical replication worker may finish a transaction in progress acting with the
currentprivileges of the old owner.  The clearest solution is, as you suggest, to refuse transfer of ownership of
subscriptionsthat are enabled.

> Doing so will create a failure case for REASSIGN OWNED BY.  Will that be ok?

I think so. Do we see any problem with that? I think we have some
failure cases currently as well like "All Tables Publication" can only
be owned by superusers whereas ownership for others can be to
non-superusers and similarly we can't change ownership for pinned
objects. I think the case being discussed is not exactly the same but
I am not able to see a problem with it.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: pgcrypto: Remove explicit hex encoding/decoding from tests
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: Is ssl_crl_file "SSL server cert revocation list"?