Re: Parallel Seq Scan

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

> On 25 March 2015 at 10:27, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Fixed the reported issue on assess-parallel-safety thread and another
>> bug caught while testing joins and integrated with latest version of
>> parallel-mode patch (parallel-mode-v9 patch).
>>
>> Apart from that I have moved the Initialization of dsm segement from
>> InitNode phase to ExecFunnel() (on first execution) as per suggestion
>> from Robert.  The main idea is that as it creates large shared memory
>> segment, so do the work when it is really required.
>>

>> HEAD Commit-Id: 11226e38
>> parallel-mode-v9.patch [2]
>> assess-parallel-safety-v4.patch [1]
>> parallel-heap-scan.patch [3]
>> parallel_seqscan_v12.patch (Attached with this mail)
>>
>> [1] - http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobJSuefiPOk6+i9WERUgeAB3ggJv7JxLX+r6S5SYydBRQ@mail.gmail.com
>> [2] - http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoZfSXZhS6qy4Z0786D7iU_AbhBVPQFwLthpSvGieczqHg@mail.gmail.com
>> [3] - http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoYJETgeAXUsZROnA7BdtWzPtqExPJNTV1GKcaVMgSdhug@mail.gmail.com
>

> Okay, with my pgbench_accounts partitioned into 300, I ran:
>
> SELECT DISTINCT bid FROM pgbench_accounts;
>
> The query never returns,

You seem to be hitting the issue I have pointed in near-by thread [1]
and I have mentioned the same while replying on assess-parallel-safety
thread.   Can you check after applying the patch in mail [1]

> and I also get this:
>
> grep -r 'starting background worker process "parallel worker for PID 12165"' postgresql-2015-03-25_112522.log  | wc -l
> 2496
>
> 2,496 workers?  This is with parallel_seqscan_degree set to 8.  If I set it to 2, this number goes down to 626, and with 16, goes up to 4320.

..

> Still not sure why 8 workers are needed for each partial scan.  I would expect 8 workers to be used for 8 separate scans.  Perhaps this is just my misunderstanding of how this feature works.

The reason is that for each table scan, it tries to use workers
equal to parallel_seqscan_degree if they are available and in this
case as the scan for inheritance hierarchy (tables in hierarchy) happens
one after another, it uses 8 workers for each scan.  I think as of now
the strategy to decide number of workers to be used in scan is kept
simple and in future we can try to come with some better mechanism
to decide number of workers.

Сообщение: Re: Error with index on unlogged table
Сообщение: Re: Error with index on unlogged table