Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 2:57 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) Can we have an option to specify last_error_xid of
> pg_stat_subscription_workers. Something like:
> alter subscription sub1 skip ( XID = 'last_subscription_error');
>
> When the user specified last_subscription_error, it should pick
> last_error_xid from pg_stat_subscription_workers.
> As this operation is a critical operation, if there is an option which
> could automatically pick and set from pg_stat_subscription_workers, it
> would be useful.

I think having some automatic functionality around this would be good
but I am not so sure about this idea because it is possible that the
error has not reached the stats collector and the user might be
referring to server logs to set the skip xid. In such cases, even
though an error would have occurred but we won't be able to set the
required xid. Now, one can imagine that if we don't get the required
value from pg_stat_subscription_workers then we can return an error to
the user indicating that she can cross-verify the server logs and set
the appropriate xid value but IMO it could be confusing. I feel even
if we want some automatic functionality like you are proposing or
something else, it could be done as a separate patch but let's wait
and see what Sawada-San or others think about this?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.