Re: dropdb --force

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: dropdb --force
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:22 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> čt 24. 10. 2019 v 11:10 odesílatel Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> napsal:
>>
>> While making some changes in the patch, I noticed that in
>> TerminateOtherDBBackends, there is a race condition where after we
>> release the ProcArrayLock, the backend process to which we decided to
>> send a signal exits by itself and the same pid can be assigned to
>> another backend which is connected to some other database.  This leads
>> to terminating a wrong backend.  I think we have some similar race
>> condition at few other places like in pg_terminate_backend(),
>> ProcSleep() and CountOtherDBBackends().  I think here the risk is a
>> bit more because there could be a long list of pids.
>>
>> One idea could be that we write a new function similar to IsBackendPid
>> which takes dbid and ensures that pid belongs to that database and use
>> that before sending kill signal, but still it will not be completely
>> safe.  But, I think it can be closer to cases like we already have in
>> code.
>>
>> Another possible idea could be to use the SendProcSignal mechanism
>> similar to how we have used it in CancelDBBackends() to allow the
>> required backends to exit by themselves.  This might be safer.
>>
>> I am not sure if we can entirely eliminate this race condition and
>> whether it is a good idea to accept such a race condition even though
>> it exists in other parts of code.  What do you think?
>>
>> BTW, I have added/revised some comments in the code and done few other
>> cosmetic changes, the result of which is attached.
>

> Tomorrow I'll check variants that you mentioned.
>
> We sure so there are not any new connect to removed database, because we hold lock there.

Right.

> So check if oid db is same should be enough.

We can do this before sending a kill signal but is it enough?  Because
as soon as we release ProcArrayLock anytime the other process can exit
and a new process can use its pid.  I think this is more of a
theoretical risk and might not be easy to hit, but still, we can't
ignore it.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.