Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 8:02 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > How can the user know subtransaction XID? I suppose you refer to
> > > streaming protocol cases but while applying spooled changes we don't
> > > report subtransaction XID neither in server log nor
> > > pg_stat_subscription_workers.
> > >

> > I also think in the current system users won't be aware of
> > subtransaction's XID but I feel Osumi-San's point is valid that we
> > should at least add it in docs that we allow to skip only top-level
> > xacts. Also, in the future, it won't be impossible to imagine that we
> > can have subtransaction's XID info also available to users as we have
> > that in the case of streaming xacts (See subxact_data).
>
> Fair point and more accurate, but I'm a bit concerned that using these
> words could confuse the user. There are some places in the doc where
> we use the words “top-level transaction” and "sub transactions” but
> these are not commonly used in the doc. The user normally would not be
> aware that sub transactions are used to implement SAVEPOINTs. Also,
> the publisher's subtransaction ID doesn’t appear anywhere on the
> subscriber. So if we want to mention it, I think we should use other
> words instead of them but I don’t have a good idea for that. Do you
> have any ideas?

How about changing existing text:
+          Specifies the ID of the transaction whose changes are to be skipped
+          by the logical replication worker.  Setting <literal>NONE</literal>
+          resets the transaction ID.

Specifies the top-level transaction identifier whose changes are to be
skipped by the logical replication worker.  We don't support skipping
individual subtransactions.  Setting <literal>NONE</literal> resets
the transaction ID.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.