Re: speed up a logical replica setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 11:52 AM Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:

> > +static void
> > +create_publication(PGconn *conn, struct LogicalRepInfo *dbinfo)
> > +{
>
> > +     appendPQExpBuffer(str, "CREATE PUBLICATION %s FOR ALL TABLES",
> > +                                       ipubname_esc);
>
> This tool's documentation says it "guarantees that no transaction will be
> lost."  I tried to determine whether achieving that will require something
> like the fix from
> https://postgr.es/m/flat/de52b282-1166-1180-45a2-8d8917ca74c6@enterprisedb.com.
> (Not exactly the fix from that thread, since that thread has not discussed the
> FOR ALL TABLES version of its race condition.)  I don't know.  On the one
> hand, pg_createsubscriber benefits from creating a logical slot after creating
> the publication.  That snapbuild.c process will wait for running XIDs.  On the
> other hand, an INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE acquires its RowExclusiveLock and builds
> its relcache entry before assigning an XID, so perhaps the snapbuild.c process
> isn't enough to prevent that thread's race condition.  What do you think?

I am not able to imagine how the race condition discussed in the
thread you quoted can impact this patch. The problem discussed is
mainly the interaction when we are processing the changes in logical
decoding w.r.t concurrent DDL (Alter Publication ... Add Table). The
problem happens because we use the old cache state. I am missing your
point about the race condition mentioned in the thread you quoted with
snapbuild.c. Can you please elaborate a bit more?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.