Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 10:29 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think giving two options would be really confusing from the
> usability perspective.  I think what we should be doing here is to
> keep these three names 'none', 'any' and 'local' as reserved names for
> the origin name so that those are not allowed to be set by the user
> and they have some internal meaning.

This makes sense to me. I think we can avoid reserving 'local' for now
till we agree on its use case and implementation. One similar point
about slots is that we treat 'none' slot_name in subscription commands
as a special value indicating no slot name whereas we do allow
creating a slot with the name 'none' with
pg_create_logical_replication_slot(). So, if we want to follow a
similar convention here, we may not need to add any restriction for
origin names but personally, I think it is better to add such a
restriction to avoid confusion and in fact, as a separate patch we
should even disallow creating slot name as 'none'.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.