Re: bogus: logical replication rows/cols combinations

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: bogus: logical replication rows/cols combinations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 12:10 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 5/2/22 19:51, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >> Why would we need to know publications replicated by other walsenders?
> >> And what if the subscriber is not connected at the moment? In that case
> >> there'll be no walsender.
> >
> > Sure, if the replica is not connected then there's no issue -- as you
> > say, that replica will fail at START_REPLICATION time.
> >

> Right, I got confused a bit.
>
> Anyway, I think the main challenge is defining what exactly we want to
> check, in order to ensure "sensible" behavior, without preventing way
> too many sensible use cases.

I could think of below two options:
1. Forbid any case where column list is different for the same table
when combining publications.
2. Forbid if the column list and row filters for a table are different
in the set of publications we are planning to combine. This means we
will allow combining column lists when row filters are not present or
when column list is the same (we don't get anything additional by
combining but the idea is we won't forbid such cases) and row filters
are different.

Now, I think the points in favor of (1) are that the main purpose of
introducing a column list are: (a) the structure/schema of the
subscriber is different from the publisher, (b) want to hide sensitive
columns data. In both cases, it should be fine if we follow (1) and
from Peter E.'s latest email [1] he also seems to be indicating the
same. If we want to be slightly more relaxed then we can probably (2).
We can decide on something else as well but I feel it should be such
that it is easy to explain.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/47dd2cb9-4e96-169f-15ac-f9407fb54d43%40enterprisedb.com

--
With Regards,