Re: Error message inconsistency

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Error message inconsistency
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 7:11 PM Greg Steiner <greg.steiner89@gmail.com> wrote:

> To me the error message that includes more detail is superior. Even though you can get the detail from the logs, it
seemslike it would much more convenient for it to be reported out via the error to allow users/applications to identify
theproblem relation without fetching logs. I understand if that's not worth breaking numerous tests, though.

Yeah, I think that is the main point.  There will be a quite some
churn in the regression test output, but OTOH, if it is for good of
users, then it might be worth.

> Personally, I think consistency here is important enough to warrant it.

Fair point.  Can such an error message change break any application?
I see some cases where users have check based on Error Code, but not
sure if there are people who have check based on error messages.

Anyone else having an opinion on this matter?  Basically, I would like
to hear if anybody thinks that this change can cause any sort of
problem.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Fix XML handling with DOCTYPE
От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Re: Usage of epoch in txid_current