Re: a fast bloat measurement tool (was Re: Measuring relation free space)

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: a fast bloat measurement tool (was Re: Measuring relation free space)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 28.1.2015 05:03, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> > At 2015-01-27 17:00:27 -0600, Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com wrote:
> >>
> Otherwise, the code looks OK to me. Now, there are a few features I'd
> like to have for production use (to minimize the impact):
>
> 1) no index support :-(
>
>    I'd like to see support for more relation types (at least btree
>    indexes). Are there any plans for that? Do we have an idea on how to
>    compute that?
>
> 2) sampling just a portion of the table
>
>    For example, being able to sample just 5% of blocks, making it less
>    obtrusive, especially on huge tables. Interestingly, there's a
>    TABLESAMPLE patch in this CF, so maybe it's possible to reuse some
>    of the methods (e.g. functions behind SYSTEM sampling)?
>
> 3) throttling
>
>    Another feature minimizing impact of running this on production might
>    be some sort of throttling, e.g. saying 'limit the scan to 4 MB/s'
>    or something along those lines.

I think these features could be done separately if anybody is interested.
The patch in its proposed form seems useful to me.

> 4) prefetch
>
>    fbstat_heap is using visibility map to skip fully-visible pages,
>    which is nice, but if we skip too many pages it breaks readahead
>    similarly to bitmap heap scan. I believe this is another place where
>    effective_io_concurrency (i.e. prefetch) would be appropriate.

Good point.  We can even think of using the technique used by Vacuum
which is skip only when we can skip atleast SKIP_PAGES_THRESHOLD
pages.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.