Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 4:09 PM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 12:56, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > This counter is important to give users an idea about the amount of
> > > I/O we incur during decoding and to tune logical_decoding_work_mem
> > > GUC. So, I would prefer to improve the documentation for this
> > > variable.
> > >

> > I have modified the description of spill_count and spill_txns to make
> > things clear. Any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for the patch.
>
> -        logical decoding exceeds
> <literal>logical_decoding_work_mem</literal>. The
> -        counter gets incremented both for toplevel transactions and
> -        subtransactions.
> +        logical decoding of changes from WAL for this exceeds
> +        <literal>logical_decoding_work_mem</literal>. The counter gets
> +        incremented both for toplevel transactions and subtransactions.
>
> What is the word "this" in the above change referring to?

'slot'. The word *slot* is missing in the sentence.

> How about
> something like:
>

> Number of transactions spilled to disk after the memory used by
> logical decoding of changes from WAL exceeding
> logical_decoding_work_mem. The counter gets incremented both for
> toplevel transactions and subtransactions.

/exceeding/exceeds. I am fine with your proposed text as well but if
you like the above after correction that would be better because it
would be more close to spill_count description.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.