Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 05/11/2015 02:02 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 6:01 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net <mailto:andrew@dunslane.net>> wrote:
>> >

>> > This generally looks good, but I have a couple of questions before I commit it.
>> >
>> > First, why is the new option for the  BASE_BACKUP command of the Streaming Replication protcol "TAR"? It seems rather misleading. Shouldn't it be something like "TABLESPACEMAP"?
>> >

>> The reason to keep new option's name as TAR was that tablespace_map
>> was generated for that format type, but I agree with you that something
>> like "TABLESPACEMAP" suits better, so I have changed it to
>> "TABLESPACE_MAP".  Putting '_' in name makes it somewhat consistent
>> with other names and filename it generates with this new option.
>>

>> > Second, these lines in xlog.c seem wrong:
>> >
>> >         else if ((ch == '\n' || ch == '\r') && prev_ch == '\\')
>> >             str[i-1] = '\n';
>> >
>> > It looks to me like we should be putting ch in the string, not arbitrarily transforming \r into \n.
>> >

>> You are right, I have changed it as per your suggestion.
>>

> OK, I have cleaned this up a bit - I had already started so I didn't take your latest patch but instead applied relevant changes to my changeset. Here is my latest version.
>
> In testing I notice that now "pg_baseback -F t" leaves it completely up to the user on all platforms to create the relevant links in pg_tblspc/. It includes the tablespace_map file in base.tar, but that's really just informational.

Sorry, but I am not able to follow your point.   User don't need to create
the relevant links, they will get created during first startup (during recovery)
from the backup.  I have tested and it works both on Windows and Linux.

Refer below code of patch in xlog.c

+
+ /* read the tablespace_map file if present and create symlinks. */
+ if (read_tablespace_map(&tablespaces))
+ {
..

> I think we need to add something to the pg_basebackup docs about that, at the very least (and it will also need to be a release note item.)

Currently, below lines in patch suggest that this file is required for recovery.
Do you expect more information to be added?

+    These files are not merely for your information; their presence and
+    contents are critical to the proper operation of the system's recovery
+    process.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.