Re: Data is copied twice when specifying both child and parent table in publication

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Data is copied twice when specifying both child and parent table in publication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 3:03 PM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Even if the partitions are arranged differently why would the user
> > expect the same data to be replicated twice?
> >

> It's the same data, but published in different ways because of changes
> the user made to the publication.
> I am not talking in general, I am specifically referring to the
> scenario I gave steps for.
> In the example scenario I gave, initially when the subscription was
> made, the publication just explicitly included the partitions, but
> publish_via_partition_root was true. So in this case it publishes
> through the individual partitions (as no partitioned table is present
> in the publication). Then on the publisher side, the partitioned table
> was then added to the publication and then ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ...
> REFRESH PUBLICATION done on the subscriber side. Now that the
> partitioned table is present in the publication and
> publish_via_partition_root is true, it is "published using the
> identity and schema of the partitioned table rather than that of the
> individual partitions that are actually changed". So the data is
> replicated again.

I don't see why data need to be replicated again even in that case.
Can you see any such duplicate data replicated for non-partitioned
tables?

> This scenario didn't use initial table data, so initial table sync
> didn't come into play

It will be equivalent to initial sync because the tablesync worker
would copy the entire data again in this case unless during refresh we
pass copy_data as false.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.