Re: Logical Replication of sequences

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Logical Replication of sequences
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 9:32 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 12:43 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 8:56 PM Yogesh Sharma
> > <yogesh.sharma@catprosystems.com> wrote:

> > > This is similar to option 1 except that it is a SQL command now.
> > >

> > Right, but I would still prefer a command as it provides clear steps
> > for the upgrade. Users need to perform (a) Replicate Sequences for a
> > particular subscription (b) Disable that subscription (c) Perform (a)
> > and (b) for all the subscriptions corresponding to the publisher we
> > want to shut down for upgrade.
> >
> > I agree there are some manual steps involved here but it is advisable
> > for users to ensure that they have received the required data on the
> > subscriber before the upgrade of the publisher node, otherwise, they
> > may not be able to continue replication after the upgrade. For
> > example, see the "Prepare for publisher upgrades" step in pg_upgrade
> > docs [1].

> > > At the time of shutdown a) most logical upgrades don't necessarily call
> > > for shutdown
> > >

> > Won't the major version upgrade expect that the node is down? Refer to
> > step "Stop both servers" in [1].
>
> I think the idea is that the publisher is the old version and the
> subscriber is the new version, and changes generated on the publisher
> are replicated to the subscriber via logical replication. And at some
> point, we change the application (or a router) settings so that no
> more transactions come to the publisher, do the last upgrade
> preparation work (e.g. copying the latest sequence values if
> requried), and then change the application so that new transactions
> come to the subscriber.

Okay, thanks for sharing the exact steps. If one has to follow that
path then sending incrementally (at checkpoint WAL or other times)
won't work because we want to ensure that the sequences are up-to-date
before the application starts using the new database. To do that in a
bullet-proof way, one has to copy/replicate sequences during the
requests to the new database are paused (Reference from the blog you
shared: For the first second after flipping the flag, our application
artificially paused any new database requests for one second.).
Currently, they are using some guesswork to replicate sequences that
require manual verification and more manual work for each sequence.
The new command (Alter Subscription ... Replicate Sequence) should
ease their procedure and can do things where they would require no or
very less verification.

> I remember the blog post about Knock doing a similar process to
> upgrade the clusters with minimal downtime[1].

Thanks for sharing the blog post.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.