Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: WIP/PoC for parallel backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmobBw-3573vMosGj06r72ajHsYeKtksT_oTxH8XvTL7DxA%40mail.gmail.com

>>> Sure, we can try out this and do a similar run to collect the pg_stat_activity output.
>>

>> Have you had the chance to try this out?
>

> Yes. My colleague Suraj tried this and here are the pg_stat_activity output files.
>
> Captured wait events after every 3 seconds during the backup for -
> 1: parallel backup for 100GB data with 4 workers (pg_stat_activity_normal_backup_100GB.txt)
> 2: Normal backup (without parallel backup patch) for 100GB data  (pg_stat_activity_j4_100GB.txt)
>
> Here is the observation:
>
> The total number of events (pg_stat_activity) captured during above runs:
> - 314 events for normal backups
> - 316 events for parallel backups (-j 4)
>
> BaseBackupRead wait event numbers: (newly added)
> 37 - in normal backups
> 25 - in the parallel backup (-j 4)
>
> ClientWrite wait event numbers:
> 175 - in normal backup
> 1098 - in parallel backups
>
> ClientRead wait event numbers:
> 0 - ClientRead in normal backup
> 326 - ClientRead in parallel backups for diff processes. (all in idle state)

It might be interesting to see why ClientRead/ClientWrite has
increased so much and can we reduce it?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

От: Julien Rouhaud
Сообщение: Re: Planning counters in pg_stat_statements (using pgss_store)