Re: Making all nbtree entries unique by having heap TIDs participatein comparisons

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Making all nbtree entries unique by having heap TIDs participatein comparisons
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 11:13 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 4:03 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I imagine that retail index tuple deletion (the whole point of this
>>> project) would be run by a VACUUM-like process that kills tuples that
>>> are dead to everyone. Even with something like zheap, you cannot just
>>> delete index tuples until you establish that they're truly dead. I
>>> guess that the delete marking stuff that Robert mentioned marks tuples
>>> as dead when the deleting transaction commits.
>>>

>> No, I don't think that is the case because we want to perform in-place
>> updates for indexed-column-updates.  If we won't delete-mark the index
>> tuple before performing in-place update, then we will have two tuples
>> in the index which point to the same heap-TID.
>
> How can an old MVCC snapshot that needs to find the heap tuple using
> some now-obsolete key values get to the heap tuple via an index scan
> if there are no index tuples that stick around until "recently dead"
> heap tuples become "fully dead"? How can you avoid keeping around both
> old and new index tuples at the same time?

Both values will be present in the index, but the old value will be
delete-marked.  It is correct that we can't remove the value (index
tuple) from the index until it is truly dead (not visible to anyone),
but during a delete or index-update operation, we need to traverse the
index to mark the entries as delete-marked.  See, at this stage, I
don't want to go in too much detail discussion of how delete-marking
will happen in zheap and also I am not sure this thread is the right
place to discuss details of that technology.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.