Re: Windows buildfarm members vs. new async-notify isolation test

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Windows buildfarm members vs. new async-notify isolation test
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 9:51 PM Andrew Dunstan
<andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:12 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > > I also tried to analyze this failure and it seems this is a good bet,
> > > but I am also wondering why we have never seen such a timing issue in
> > > other somewhat similar tests.  For ex.,  one with comment (#
> > > Cross-backend notification delivery.).  Do they have a better way of
> > > ensuring that the notification will be received or is it purely
> > > coincidental that they haven't seen such a symptom?
> >
> > TBH, my bet is that this *won't* fix it, but it seemed like an easy
> > thing to test.  For this to fix it, you'd have to suppose that we
> > never do a CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS during a COMMIT command, which is
> > improbable at best.
> >

> You win your bet. Tried this on frogmouth and it still failed.

IIUC, this means that commit (step l2commit) is finishing before the
notify signal is reached that session.  If so, can we at least confirm
that by adding something like select pg_sleep(1) in that step?  So,
l2commit will be: step "l2commit" { SELECT pg_sleep(1); COMMIT; }.  I
think we can try by increasing sleep time as well to confirm the
behavior if required.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.