Re: min_safe_lsn column in pg_replication_slots view

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: min_safe_lsn column in pg_replication_slots view
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 6:32 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:

> At Thu, 18 Jun 2020 18:18:37 +0530, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote in
> > On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:52 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> > <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > At Wed, 17 Jun 2020 21:37:55 +0900, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote in
> > >
> > > Mmm. pg_walfile_name seems too specialize to
> > > pg_stop_backup(). (pg_walfile_name_offset() returns wrong result for
> > > segment boundaries.)  I'm not willing to do that only to follow such
> > > suspicious(?) specification, but surely it would practically be better
> > > doing that. Please find the attached first patch.
> > >

> > It is a little unclear to me how this or any proposed patch will solve
> > the original problem reported by Fujii-San?  Basically, the problem
> > arises because we don't have an interlock between when the checkpoint
> > removes the WAL segment and the view tries to acquire the same.  Am, I
> > missing something?
>
> I'm not sure, but I don't get the point of blocking WAL segment
> removal until the view is completed.

I am not suggesting to do that.

> The said columns of the view are
> just for monitoring, which needs an information snapshot seemingly
> taken at a certain time. And InvalidateObsoleteReplicationSlots kills
> walsenders using lastRemovedSegNo of a different time.  The two are
> independent each other.
>
> Also the patch changes min_safe_lsn to show an LSN at segment boundary
> + 1.

But aren't we doing last_removed_seg+1 even without the patch?  See code below

- {
- XLogRecPtr min_safe_lsn;
-
- XLogSegNoOffsetToRecPtr(last_removed_seg + 1, 0,
- wal_segment_size, min_safe_lsn);

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.