Re: Strange failure in LWLock on skink in REL9_5_STABLE

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Strange failure in LWLock on skink in REL9_5_STABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 2:28 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> On 2018-09-22 08:54:57 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:

> > > Unless it looks practical to support this behavior in the Windows
> > > and SysV cases, I think we should get rid of it rather than expend
> > > effort on supporting it for just some platforms.
> >
> > We can remove it in back-branches without breaking API compatibility:
> >
> > 1.  Change dsm_impl_can_resize() to return false unconditionally (I
> > suppose client code is supposed to check this before using
> > dsm_resize(), though I'm not sure why it has an "impl" in its name if
> > it's part of the public interface of this module).
> > 2.  Change dsm_resize() and dsm_remap() to raise an error conditionally.
> > 3.  Rip out the DSM_OP_RESIZE cases from various places.
> >
> > Then in master, remove all of those functions completely.  However,
> > I'd feel like a bit of a vandal.  Robert and Amit probably had plans
> > for that code...?
>
> Robert, Amit: ^

I went through and check the original proposal [1] to see if any use
case is mentioned there, but nothing related has been discussed.   I
couldn't think of much use of this facility except maybe for something
like parallelizing correalated sub-queries where the size of outer var
can change across executions and we might need to resize the initially
allocated memory.  This is just a wild thought, I don't have any
concrete idea about this.   Having said that, I don't object to
removing this especially because the implementation doesn't seem to be
complete.  In future, if someone needs such a facility, they can first
develop a complete version of this API.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoaDqDUgt%3D4Zs_QPOnBt%3DEstEaVNP%2B5t%2Bm%3DFPNWshiPR3A%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] proposal: schema variables