Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:55 PM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:

> On 10/04/2019 09:29, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 5:57 AM Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal@pivotal.io> wrote:
> >> Row store
> >> ---------
> >>
> >> The tuples are stored one after another, sorted by TID. For each
> >> tuple, we store its 48-bit TID, a undo record pointer, and the actual
> >> tuple data uncompressed.
> >>

> > Storing undo record pointer with each tuple can take quite a lot of
> > space in cases where you can't compress them.
>
> Yeah. This does depend on compression to eliminate the unused fields
> quite heavily at the moment. But you could have a flag in the header to
> indicate "no undo pointer needed", and just leave it out, when it's needed.
>
> > Have you thought how will you implement the multi-locker scheme in
> > this design?  In zheap, we have used undo for the same and it is easy
> > to imagine when you have separate transaction slots for each
> > transaction.  I am not sure how will you implement the same here.
> I've been thinking that the undo record would store all the XIDs
> involved. So if there are multiple lockers, the UNDO record would store
> a list of XIDs.

This will be quite tricky.  Whenever a new locker arrives, you first
need to fetch previous undo to see which all XIDs already have a lock
on it.  Not only that, it will make discarding undo's way complicated.
  We have considered this approach before implementing the current
approach in zheap.

> Alternatively, I suppose you could store multiple UNDO
> pointers for the same tuple.

This will not only make the length of the tuple unnecessarily long but
would make it much harder to reclaim that space once the corresponding
undo is discarded.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.