Re: [HACKERS] why not parallel seq scan for slow functions

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [HACKERS] why not parallel seq scan for slow functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 21 August 2017 at 10:08, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thoughts?
>
> This seems like a very basic problem for parallel queries.
>
> The problem seems to be that we are calculating the cost of the plan
> rather than the speed of the plan.
>
> Clearly, a parallel task has a higher overall cost but a lower time to
> complete if resources are available.
>
> We have the choice of 1) adding a new optimizable quantity,

I think this has the potential of making costing decisions difficult.
I mean to say, if we include any such new parameter, then we need to
consider that along with cost as we can't completely ignore the cost.

> or of 2)
> treating cost = speed, so we actually reduce the cost of a parallel
> plan rather than increasing it so it is more likely to be picked.

Yeah, this is what is being currently followed for costing of parallel
plans and this patch also tries to follow the same.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.