Re: Merging postgresql.conf and postgresql.auto.conf

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Merging postgresql.conf and postgresql.auto.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Sawada Masahiko <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > One thought I have in this line is that currently there doesn't seem to be
> > a way to know if the setting has an entry both in postgresql.conf and
> > postgresql.auto.conf, if we can have some way of knowing the same
> > (pg_settings?), then it could be convenient for user to decide if the value
> > in postgresql.auto.conf is useful or not and if it's not useful then use
> > Alter System .. Reset command to remove the same from
> > postgresql.auto.conf.
>
> I think one way is that pg_settings has file name of variables,  But
> It would not affect to currently status of postgresql.conf
> So we would need to parse postgresql.conf again at that time.

Yeah that could be a possibility, but I think that will break the existing
command('s) as this is the common infrastructure used for SHOW ..
commands as well which displays the guc value that is used by
current session rather than the value in postgresql.conf.

I don't know how appealing it would be to others, but a new view
like pg_file_settings which would display the settings in file could
be meaningful for your need.

Another way is user can do pg_reload_conf() to see the latest
values (excluding values for server startup time parameters).

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.