Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 8:19 PM Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, at 9:19 AM, vignesh C wrote:
>
> I have extracted the parser code and attached it here, so that it will
> be easy to go through. We wanted to support the following syntax as in
> [1]:
> CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR
> TABLE t1,t2,t3, ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA s1,s2,
> SEQUENCE seq1,seq2, ALL SEQUENCES IN SCHEMA s3,s4;
>
> I don't like this syntax. It seems too much syntax for the same purpose in a
> single command. If you look at GRANT command whose ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA syntax
> was extracted, you can use ON TABLE or ON ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA; you cannot use
> both. This proposal allows duplicate objects (of course, you can ignore it but
> the current code prevent duplicates -- see publication_add_relation).
>
> IMO you should mimic the GRANT grammar and have multiple commands for row
> filtering, column filtering, and ALL FOO IN SCHEMA. The filtering patches only
> use the FOR TABLE syntax. The later won't have filtering syntax.

Sure, but we don't prevent if the user uses only FOR TABLE variant.
OTOH, it is better to provide flexibility to allow multiple objects in
one command unless that is not feasible. It saves the effort of users
in many cases. In short, +1 for the syntax where multiple objects can
be allowed.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.