Re: Support logical replication of DDLs

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 10:22 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 3:25 PM houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
> <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >

> Thanks for the updated patch.
> Few comments on 0002 patch:
> 1) When we create a subscription for a publication with the existing
> default PUBLISH parameter having default value as
> 'insert,update,delete,truncate', we do an initial table sync to get
> the initial table data from the publisher to the subscriber. But in
> case of a publication created with 'ddl', the subscription expects the
> existing initial tables present in the publisher to be created
> beforehand in the subscriber. Should this be the default behavior?
> Should we do a ddl dump for all the tables and restore the ddl to the
> subscription while creating the subscription? Or is this planned as an
> option for the later version.

The idea is to develop initial sync (for ddl replication) as a
separate patch. But both need to be integrated at some point.

> 3) SYNTAX Support:
> Currently creation of "FOR TABLE" publication with ddl is supported.
> Should we allow support of ddl for "FOR TABLE" publication.

The above comment is unclear to me. It seems to me in the first
sentence, you are saying that the "FOR TABLE" syntax is supported and
in the second sentence, you are asking to allow support of it? I think
at this stage, the focus is to build the core part of the feature
(allow ddl replication and deparsing support), and then we can discuss
more on Syntax. Having said that, it will be good if we can support
table-level DDL replication as well in the patch as you seem to be
suggesting.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.