Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY
Дата
Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 7:26 PM amul sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Attached patch proposes $Subject feature which forces the system into read-only
> mode where insert write-ahead log will be prohibited until ALTER SYSTEM READ
> WRITE executed.
>
> The high-level goal is to make the availability/scale-out situation better.  The feature
> will help HA setup where the master server needs to stop accepting WAL writes
> immediately and kick out any transaction expecting WAL writes at the end, in case
> of network down on master or replication connections failures.
>
> For example, this feature allows for a controlled switchover without needing to shut
> down the master. You can instead make the master read-only, wait until the standby
> catches up, and then promote the standby. The master remains available for read
> queries throughout, and also for WAL streaming, but without the possibility of any
> new write transactions. After switchover is complete, the master can be shut down
> and brought back up as a standby without needing to use pg_rewind. (Eventually, it
> would be nice to be able to make the read-only master into a standby without having
> to restart it, but that is a problem for another patch.)
>
> This might also help in failover scenarios. For example, if you detect that the master
> has lost network connectivity to the standby, you might make it read-only after 30 s,
> and promote the standby after 60 s, so that you never have two writable masters at
> the same time. In this case, there's still some split-brain, but it's still better than what
> we have now.
>
> Design:
> ----------
> The proposed feature is built atop of super barrier mechanism commit[1] to coordinate
> global state changes to all active backends.  Backends which executed
> ALTER SYSTEM READ { ONLY | WRITE } command places request to checkpointer
> process to change the requested WAL read/write state aka WAL prohibited and WAL
> permitted state respectively.  When the checkpointer process sees the WAL prohibit
> state change request, it emits a global barrier and waits until all backends that
> participate in the ProcSignal absorbs it. Once it has done the WAL read/write state in
> share memory and control file will be updated so that XLogInsertAllowed() returns
> accordingly.

Do we prohibit the checkpointer to write dirty pages and write a
checkpoint record as well?  If so, will the checkpointer process
writes the current dirty pages and writes a checkpoint record or we
skip that as well?

> If there are open transactions that have acquired an XID, the sessions are killed
> before the barrier is absorbed.

What about prepared transactions?

> They can't commit without writing WAL, and they
> can't abort without writing WAL, either, so we must at least abort the transaction. We
> don't necessarily need to kill the session, but it's hard to avoid in all cases because
> (1) if there are subtransactions active, we need to force the top-level abort record to
> be written immediately, but we can't really do that while keeping the subtransactions
> on the transaction stack, and (2) if the session is idle, we also need the top-level abort
> record to be written immediately, but can't send an error to the client until the next
> command is issued without losing wire protocol synchronization. For now, we just use
> FATAL to kill the session; maybe this can be improved in the future.
>
> Open transactions that don't have an XID are not killed, but will get an ERROR if they
> try to acquire an XID later, or if they try to write WAL without acquiring an XID (e.g. VACUUM).

What if vacuum is on an unlogged relation?  Do we allow writes via
vacuum to unlogged relation?

> To make that happen, the patch adds a new coding rule: a critical section that will write
> WAL must be preceded by a call to CheckWALPermitted(), AssertWALPermitted(), or
> AssertWALPermitted_HaveXID(). The latter variants are used when we know for certain
> that inserting WAL here must be OK, either because we have an XID (we would have
> been killed by a change to read-only if one had occurred) or for some other reason.
>
> The ALTER SYSTEM READ WRITE command can be used to reverse the effects of
> ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY. Both ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY and ALTER
> SYSTEM READ WRITE update not only the shared memory state but also the control
> file, so that changes survive a restart.
>
> The transition between read-write and read-only is a pretty major transition, so we emit
> log message for each successful execution of a ALTER SYSTEM READ {ONLY | WRITE}
> command. Also, we have added a new GUC system_is_read_only which returns "on"
> when the system is in WAL prohibited state or recovery.
>
> Another part of the patch that quite uneasy and need a discussion is that when the
> shutdown in the read-only state we do skip shutdown checkpoint and at a restart, first
> startup recovery will be performed and latter the read-only state will be restored to
> prohibit further WAL write irrespective of recovery checkpoint succeed or not. The
> concern is here if this startup recovery checkpoint wasn't ok, then it will never happen
> even if it's later put back into read-write mode.

I am not able to understand this problem.  What do you mean by
"recovery checkpoint succeed or not", do you add a try..catch and skip
any error while performing recovery checkpoint?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.