Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node
Дата
RE: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node  ("Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 1:39 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 11:39 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 1:20 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> > <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > I spent some time on the v57 patch and it looks good to me - tests are
> > > passing, no complaints from pgindent and pgperltidy. I turned the CF
> > > entry https://commitfest.postgresql.org/45/4273/ to RfC.
> > >

> > Thanks, the patch looks mostly good to me but I am not convinced of
> > keeping the tests across versions in this form. I don't think they are
> > tested in BF, only one can manually create a setup to test. Shall we
> > remove it for now and then consider it separately?
>
> I think we can retain the test_upgrade_from_pre_PG17 because it is not
> only possible to trigger it manually but also one can write a CI
> workflow to trigger it.

It would be better to gauge its value separately and add it once the
main patch is committed. I am slightly unhappy even with the hack used
for pre-version testing in previous patch which is as follows:
+# XXX: Older PG version had different rules for the inter-dependency of
+# 'max_wal_senders' and 'max_connections', so assign values which will work for
+# all PG versions. If Cluster.pm is fixed this code is not needed.
+$old_publisher->append_conf(
+ 'postgresql.conf', qq[
+max_wal_senders = 5
+max_connections = 10
+]);

There should be a way to avoid this but we can decide it afterwards. I
don't want to hold the main patch for this point. What do you think?

> > Apart from that, I have made minor modifications in the docs to adjust
> > the order of various prerequisites.
>
> +    <para>
> +     <application>pg_upgrade</application> attempts to migrate logical
> +     replication slots. This helps avoid the need for manually defining the
> +     same replication slots on the new publisher. Migration of logical
> +     replication slots is only supported when the old cluster is version 17.0
> +     or later. Logical replication slots on clusters before version 17.0 will
> +     silently be ignored.
> +    </para>
>
> +       The new cluster must not have permanent logical replication slots, i.e.,
>
> How about using "logical slots" in place of "logical replication
> slots" to be more generic? We agreed and changed the function name to

Yeah, I am fine with that and I can take care of it before committing
unless there is more to change.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.