Re: BUG #14150: Attempted to delete invisible tuple

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: BUG #14150: Attempted to delete invisible tuple
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Maybe heap_abort_speculative() should be refactored to call another
>>> function, and keep only the parts that specifically expect a
>>> HeapTupleHeaderIsSpeculative() tuple. The function that it is made to
>>> call (that consists of the majority of the current
>>> heap_abort_speculative() implementation) could also be called by a
>>> special super deletion variant of toast_delete(). No need to spread
>>> knowledge about speculative insertion any further this way, AFAICT.
>>> The UPSERT commit did modify two HeapTupleSatisfies* routines, but
>>> that didn't include HeapTupleSatisfiesUpdate() (just
>>> HeapTupleSatisfiesDirty(), and the aforementioned defensive code in
>>> HeapTupleSatisfiesToast()).
>>>

>> IIUC, then I think you are proposing to have an API (something like
>> heap_delete_minimal) which will workout well for both heap and toast
>> tuples with respect to heap_abort_speculative().  I think to solve
>> this issue, the approach you outlined above seems to be better than
>> what's being done in Oskari's patch.  The advantage of this approach
>> is that it will save us from touching HeapTupleSatisfiesUpdate and
>> will do the minimal things (like excluding the replica identity &
>> replication origin information from WAL) required for deletion of
>> toast tuples.
>
> Right, but Oskari's latest revision of the patch is a response to this
> feedback, which I'm happy with.

I have somehow missed that e-mail.  I don't know why, but I could not
see any of the Oskari's e-mail in this thread in my gmail inbox. I
have to check that via postgresql.org [1].

[1]  - https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-bugs

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.