Re: Problem while setting the fpw with SIGHUP

От Amit Kapila
Тема Re: Problem while setting the fpw with SIGHUP
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

in<20180404.172646.238325981.horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp>

>> > In general, I was wondering why in the first place this variable
>> > (full_page_writes) is a SIGHUP variable?  I think if the user tries to
>> > switch it to 'on' from 'off', it won't guarantee the recovery from
>> > torn pages.  Yeah, one can turn it to 'off' from 'on' without any
>> > problem, but as the reverse doesn't guarantee anything, it can confuse
>> > users. What do you think?
>>
>> I tend to agree with you. It works as expected after the next
>> checkpoint. So define the variable as "it can be changed any time
>> but has an effect at the next checkpoint time", then remove
>> XLOG_FPW_CHANGE record. And that eliminates the problem of
>> concurrent calls since the checkpointer becomes the only modifier
>> of the variable. And the problematic function
>> UpdateFullPageWrites also no longer needs to write a WAL
>> record. The information is conveyed only by checkpoint records.
>
> I noticed that XLOG_FPW_CHANGE(fpw=false) is still required by
> pg_start/stop_backup to know FPW's turning-off without waiting
> for the next checkpoint record. But XLOG_FPW_CHANGE(true) is not
> required since no one uses the information. It seems even harmful
> when it is written at the incorrect place.
>
> In the attached patch, shared fullPageWrites is updated only at
> REDO point

I am not completely sure if that is the right option because this
would mean that we are defining the new scope for a GUC variable.  I
guess we should take the input of others as well.  I am not sure what
is the right way to do that, but maybe we can start a new thread with
a proper subject and description rather than discussing this under
some related bug fix patch discussion.  I guess we can try that after
CF unless some other people pitch in and share their feedback.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.