Re: storing an explicit nonce

От Neil Chen
Тема Re: storing an explicit nonce
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 4:52 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> I am confused why checksums, which are widely used, acceptably require
> wal_log_hints, but there is concern that file encryption, which is
> heavier, cannot acceptably require wal_log_hints.  I must be missing
> something.
>
> Why can't checksums also throw away hint bit changes like you want to do
> for file encryption and not require wal_log_hints?

I'm really confused about it, too. I read the above communication, not sure if my understanding is correct... What we are facing is not only the change of flag such as *pd_flags*, but also others like pointer array changes in btree like Robert said. We don't need them to write a WAL record.

I have an immature idea, could we use LSN+blkno+checksum as the nonce when the checksum enabled? And when the checksum disabled, we just use a global counter to generate a number as the fake checksum value... Then we also use LSN+blkno+fake_checksum as the nonce. Is there anything wrong with that?

--
There is no royal road to learning.
HighGo Software Co.

Сообщение: Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Сообщение: Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS