One PostgreSQL server for multiple apps?

От Pandu Poluan
Тема One PostgreSQL server for multiple apps?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice

Hello!

First, I apologize if this email sounds very... novice. I came from MS SQL Server background, and am recently 'plunged' into a mid-to-long term project to drop dependencies on proprietary databases, and use PostgreSQL instead.

Now, in MS SQL Server, I can create a single server to service several apps together. If the app is a light load and doesn't require something more than db_owner privileges, I usually just clump them together in the Default instance, using a new 'database'. If the app has heavier requirements, then I would spin up a new instance, on the same server (provided RAM and IOPS requirements suffice, of course).

How would the same principle be applied in PostgreSQL?

Thanks in advance for your kind guide.

Rgds,