Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 6 March 2014 19:42, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
> <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I think it'd already much better than today's situation, and it's a
>> > required codepath for wal_level > logical anyway. So even if somebody
>> > wants to make this work without the full copy for minimal, it'd still be
>> > a required codepath. So I am perfectly ok with a patch just adding that.
>> >

>> Then is this a good idea for a GSoC project ?
>>
>> I don't know very well this internals, but I am willing to learn and I
>> think the GSoC is a good opportunity.
>>
>> Any of you are willing to mentoring this project?
>>

> I written the proposal to this feature, so I would like to know if someone
> can review.

I think this isn't a good design.  Per the discussion between Andres
and I, I think that I think you should do is make ALTER TABLE .. SET
LOGGED work just like VACUUM FULL, with the exception that it will set
a different relpersistence for the new relfilenode.  If you do it that
way, this will be less efficient, but much simpler, and you might
actually finish it in one summer.

Sounds like a plan.  Would there be any stretch-goals for this work, or is there not really anything else that could be done?

--
Thom