Re: Column Redaction

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: Column Redaction
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10 October 2014 13:43, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 10 October 2014 11:45, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>
>> To be honest, this all sounds rather flaky.
>
> To be honest, suggesting anything at all is rather difficult and I
> recommend people try it.

I have, and most ideas I've had have been justifiably shot down or
picked apart (scheduled background tasks, offloading stats collection
to standby, index maintenance in DML query plans, expression
statistics... to name but a few).

> Everything sounds crap when you didn't think of it and you've given it
> an hour's thought.

I'm not sure that means my concerns aren't valid.  I don't think it
sounds crap, but I also can't see any use-case for it where we don't
already have things covered, or where it's going to offer any useful
level of security.  Like with RLS, it may be that I'm just looking at
things from the wrong perspective.
--
Thom